Monday, September 12, 2011

They don't serve breakfast in Hell

We continue this journey with Rachel. The end is so close but God still has not taken Rachel. Today was filled with challenges and events that I had hoped would never come about but here they are. Rachel is no longer able to get out of bed so she now has a catheter. It broke my heart knowing that she was going to get one because I knew she would never have agreed to it if she was able to put up a fight.

Last night was also a hard night for "aunt" Kathy who lovingly stayed with Rachel and helped Mom and Dad through the night. Rachel was in a lot of pain and was throwing up her pain medication. Aunt Kathy had to help Rachel a lot. At one point Rachel let Aunt Kathy know that she wanted to go Home...Heaven... it broke all our hearts to know that Rachel was in so much pain!!

When Rachel first found out the news that the cancer had spread everywhere and that she needed to get things in order, she went funeral shopping. It was hard for me to have any type of conversation with Rachel about her funeral but she was instant and wanted everything done her way!! Tonight with my dear friend I listened to some of the songs Rachel has picked out for her viewing...keep your ears tuned for them if you come to the viewing.
 

A rather interesting song for a funeral but Rachel wants her viewing to be pointing continually to the Lord and to be joyful! What fun it was to listen to this song.

Another conversation today with another friend was about our expectation for this life. We expect Rachel to live until a nice age of 90. We expect life to be carefree... these expectations are straight from the Devil!! God does not promise this! Instead He tells us that life is going to be hard especially for Christians. The Devil wants to take the trust and distort it so we questions and grow angry with the Lord when life does not turn out in a way that we expect. What do I need to expect???!!! for my sisters life and my life?? Just what the Bible tells me! and so I will turn back to His Word and fill my mind with His promises of never leaving me, He has given me eternal life, and so many other promises. What are some of your favorite promises that God has given!??

5 comments:

  1. This is so true. Even Christians start to believe that the goal of life is to find happiness. It's not. It's to share life with Jesus, get to know him more, and share him with others. And that often costs us more than we think we can bear.

    Matthew 14:27
    But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

    This is one of my favorite verses of all time:
    Psalm 27:14
    Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

    Because God wouldn't need to tell us to be brave if there weren't going to be challenges that would make us afraid.

    Prayer and blessings for your family.
    ~Sandra (friend of Lisa King)
    www.movoingtowardwater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The knowledge that has comforted me throughout my life is that God never sends anything we can't bear. And I carry this knowledge with me always.
    My prayers and my heart are with Rachel and your whole family.

    I am a friend of Monika Tockstein

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel. I love your sense of humor. I think it's a fab song for a funeral, and it will accomplish what you hoped it to :) I am smiling thru tears.
    I wish I had gotten to meet you IRL.
    praying for you and your family. peace and love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. also, Betty (I hope I got your name correct, I am sorry if I got it wrong), you are a wonderful sister. Rachel is lucky to have you. praying for you and your mom & dad as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. also, on another topic - are they not giving her IV morphine? That should eliminate the need for oral pain meds and maybe ease the vomiting.

    ReplyDelete