Saturday, September 10, 2011

From Reva

Barbara, Sent this to Serving Ladies last night. We are in prayer for a gentle, grace filled transition. Love you, Reva

Dear Serving Sisters,
We went to clean today and Barbara told us that hospice said this would probably be Rachel's last weekend. Barbara was very calm and the prayers of the righteous availed much, she seems to be at peace. She smiled and teased about not knowing what was going on last weekend (I had forgot to put Labor Day weekend on our cleaning calendar. I missed the date complety  I had apologized profusely to her earlier this wk).  Hearing her joke about it made me feel so much better. I had been feeling very down about my mistake.

Barbara asked us to wipe down her kitchen chairs and cabinets as she is expecting a lot of guests over the next days. Carole and Tara started on that right away, Myra started cleaning Barbara's bathroom, and I started on Rachel's bathrm. 

Rachel was upright in bed with husband Rob seated in a chair, son Dane lying on the floor, and a woman relative was taking her turn sitting right next to Rachel, gently watching over her.  As I was cleaning, Barbara came in and said, "Here goes, I'm going to give Rachel liquid morphine for the first time. If I can give her injections in her stomach, I can do anything."  As I cleaned the bathroom, I heard Barbara gently waking Rachel, telling her to open her mouth and just let the medicine sit there and dissolve further. This was an intimate family moment, and even though I was in the next room, I felt a bit uncomfortable,  didn't want to intrude.

As I was mopping the floor, I heard Barbara call my name. I got up and she had come into the bathroom. "Rachel knows you're here, and she wants you to pray for her", she said.

Now I must admit my mind went blank and I was in a mild panic. What do you say, what do you pray for, when someone has only hours left and they know it?

I took off my gloves and came to Rachel's bed. I made to sit in the chair across from the bed, but Barbara shook her head no, and pointed to the bed next to Rachel. So I sat down right beside her. I felt clumsy and huge, she was so small and tiny. Bones protruding, shoulders, neck, back, arms. So tiny, so fragile. I closed my eyes and felt Barbara put Rachel's hand in my hand. Lord, what do I say?

Dear Lord, thank You for the honor of knowing this young woman. Thank you that we your women, have been privileged to serve her. We are the better for it. It won't be long now until she hears You say,"Well done good and faithful servant." This is the woman who was quick to remind us of her faults but kept on ministering to the needs of others even when her health failed. We, Your honor guard, gently hand her over to Your angels for quick transport to You. Amen". 

I started to get up and Barbara said, "Rachel likes to be hugged."  So very, very gently, I took her in my arms and whispered in her ear, "Its been my high honor to serve you. Thank you for teaching me what really matters. Say hello to my Grandma when you see her." Barbara gave me a big smile and thanked me.

I told Barbara and Ed that we in the WR ministry had promised Rachel we would continue meal and cleaning service for a while after her departure to help her Mom and we intended to keep that promise. We would serve right up to the Women's Retreat. Both were stunned and ever so grateful.  I told them both it would be our privilege. Ed is going to have a very rough time with this. When I asked how he was, he said  "As good as a father can be at a time like this.'

So servants of the One True God, pray for the Arnold Family this weekend as Rachel makes her transition. Pray for each other as we carry out the schedule as well as do extra as the Lord has place on those of you who do extra as the Lord has placed on your hearts. You are a special, gifted group of women and the Lord has blessed me through you. Thank you for your serving spirits. Have a blessed weekend.  Reva

No comments:

Post a Comment